The Importance of User Interface Design
- Functionality - list the functionality required of the website to accomplish the goals of the project and the potential needs of targeted users.
- User Analysis - analyze the potential users of the website either through discussion with people who work with the users and/or the potential users themselves.
- Questions to ask:
- What would the user want the system to do?
- How would the website fit in with the user's normal workflow or daily activities?
- What gender, age group, interests, colors, fonts, images appeal to the user?
- How technically savvy is the user and what similar websites does the user already use?
- What interface look & feel styles appeal to the user?
- Information Architecture - development of the visual / textual flow of the website
- Flow Management - development of the navagational flow of the website
- Mockup Development - development of interactive homepage of the website. These mockups consist of all look & feel elements and content for the website. A strong emphasis is placed on the development of a solid interface that is easy to navagate.
- Usability testing - testing of the mockups on an actual potential users and obtaining feedback using a technique called talk aloud protocol where you ask the user to talk about their thoughts during the experience.